1. What personal information do we collect?
2. Why do we collect your personal information?
3. To whom do we disclose your personal information?
4. Where do we store your personal information?
5. How may you obtain access to your personal information?
6. How do we protect your personal information?
7. Privacy in our website
9. Further information
What Personal Information do we collect?
Canadian Privacy Legislation generally defines “Personal Information” broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified. For the purposes of this policy, personal information means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation. Generally speaking, personal information does not include what is considered business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number, facsimile number. The types of personal information that DGOC may collect about you include your name, home address, telephone number, personal email address, billing and account information.
DGOC may receive personal information from users for the purpose of providing services to them. In these cases, DGOC relies on the user to ensure that such personal information is disclosed to DGOC in accordance with applicable privacy legislation. Such personal information is used only for the purpose of providing the services in question.
We have a physical presence throughout Canada and may in the normal course of operations collect personal information through visits from the public, capture of video images on security cameras, telephone inquiries, or employment inquiries. This personal data, incidental to normal business administrations, is not collected for a business purpose or shared with third parties except under exceptional circumstances as required by law.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
In general, DGOC collects and uses personal information about customers for the purpose of serving and doing business with those customers. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
From time to time, DGOC may disclose your Personal Information to:
- Service organizations including an organization or individual retained by DGOC to perform functions on its behalf such as marketing, surveying, data processing, document management, and office services;
- A person who in the reasonable opinion of DGOC is providing or seeking the information as your agent;
- To our insurers and to regulatory agencies, insurers or others in connection with regulatory or other obligations of DGOC;
- To a third party or parties, but only where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law;
- As required by law, and to comply with, any foreign and domestic legal or regulatory requirements or provisions.
Where do we store your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by DGOC, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How may you obtain access to your Personal Information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, DGOC will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to our Chief Privacy Officer. There are a few instances where we may not be able to provide some of the personal information we hold, including:
- if it is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege
- if it contains references to other individuals
- if it cannot be disclosed for legal, security, or commercial proprietary reasons
- if it is prohibitively costly to provide
How do we protect your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, DGOC employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. Where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing we ensure, through our contracts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure. We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
Privacy and our Website
- Online Communications – In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, reviewing or downloading a publication, participating in a seminar or other event, and participating in contests and surveys. If you are known to DGOC as a registered user of an online service, we may combine and store Personal Information about your use of our website and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
- E-Mail Communications - Occasionally, we may send e-mail communications to you with information that may be useful, including information about DGOC and other third parties with whom we have a relationship. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future e-mails from DGOC.
- Links - Our website may contain links to other websites which are provided as a convenience only. Visitors are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy policies and practices than DGOC, and DGOC has no responsibility for such third party websites.